The other day, Mr PinkGiggles phoned me saying he had a bad day at work and was finally on his way home. I took this opportunity to bulk up my resume for girlfriend of the year. What’s the best remedy for a bad day? Comfort food!
Although, in retrospect, using a wire whisk in your boyfriends favourite pan is probably not the best way to cheer him up. But when he admits that you’ve made the best mac and cheese he’s ever had, he will forget about the causalities in preparation. (What’s a pan without a few scratches anyways).
Healthified Mac and Cheese (adapted from cooking light)
Ingredients—serves 4-6 depending on how hungry you are
- 3 cups cooked elbow pasta
- 1 cup steamed cauliflower cut very small
- Handful of croutons, crushed up
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
1. In a small bowl, mix crushed croutons and 2 tbsp olive oil. Set aside.
2. With heat on low, in a sauce pan whisk together remaining olive oil and flour (this is called a roux). Add salt, paprika, and pepper. Never stop whisking.
3. Slowly (a little bit at a time) add the milk. Increase heat to medium. Never stop whisking.
4. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
5. In a casserole dish, mix cooked pasta, steamed cauliflower, and sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and crouton mixture. Bake at 350°C for approximately 25mins or until the cheese is melted, and the croutons are golden.