It’s friday! And a very special friday indeed. Drumroll please….I’M MOVING! Because we are such nice people, our landlord gave us our key a little early. That being said, we weren’t expecting this and we have nothing packed. The desire to get out of the current house is strong though, so it looks like I’m in for a couple long days of moving madness. This likely means no time to cook, luckily I have some chili in the freezer that’s been waiting for this day.
Now, I’m no Kevin Malone, but I make a mean pot of chili. Scratch that, who am I kidding? I make a cute, girlnextdoor kind of chili. I’ve even heard it’s the best chili ever…just sayin’.
Many moons ago, I came across a recipe in Women’s health for hunger busting 3 bean chili. My recipe is kinda like that….but better.
1. lean ground turkey (or chicken)
2. 1 medium onion
3. 1.5 tbsp oil
4. 1.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
5. 1 (big) can diced tomatos
6. 1 can each of red kidney beans, black beans, and chick peas (rinse/drain them first as they are often packed in super salty water)
7. SPICES! 1/4 tsp of salt, cinnamon, and cumin. 1/2 tsp of crushed chili flakes
8. Extras: 1 can of corn, 1 cup of cut carrots or peppers, 1 cup of edamame beans. If you add all of these things, you will need to add another can of diced tomatoes and more spice. If you only add some of them you should be fine with 1 can of tomatoes.
Do as I say:
1. Put some onions and oil in a gigantic pot. Cook on medium for a couple minutes until soft then add your meat. brown it nicely.
2. Add everything else! Stir and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about an hour lid on.
3. Reduce heat and simmer lid off until it becomes thick enough to eat!
It keeps very well in the freezer and makes for a great packed lunch 🙂 Serve with some grated cheese or a small scoop of low fat cream cheese.
Ok I probably have to go pack now. Cross your fingers that I find my camera battery charger!
Rawr! Happy friday!
PS! you may notice on the right side of this page you now have the option to subscribe to new posts via email. I’d highly suggest doing this…all the cool kids are 😉